In this edition of Staff Features, we catch up with our USAG Men’s Gymnastics Head Coach!
Read on to gain an insider’s perspective and fascinating insight into the life of a true
Sun Country Superstar!
Name: Greg Weller
Department: USAG Men’s Gymnastics
Tenure: 6 years
- What three traits define you?
Adventurous, Humble and Confident.
- Where is your favorite place to be?
On the river.
- What is the weirdest job you’ve had?
Stuntman: Tumble Monkey at Disney in the Lion King show.
- What has surprised you most about working with children?
Kids are like a box of chocolates… you never know what you’re going to get.
- What would you tell someone who is considering joining/working in youth sports?
You must have a ton of patience/persistence and be willing to learn from your students as they learn from you.
- What do you enjoy most as a gymnastics coach?
Working with athletes is unpredictable and often hilarious. The things they say and do are priceless at times.
- What do you enjoy doing when you are not at work?
I enjoy mountain biking.
- If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?
Sushi… I eat it almost every day.
- What is your personal philosophy?
Being able to give my athletes challenges that they cannot easily solve is interesting. Watching as they learn to approach with respect, so they can find their own deeply hidden talents is rewarding.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I was a Firefighter/EMT for 5 years.
A big thank you to Coach Greg for taking the time to answer our questions!
If you ever happen to see him around Millhopper, feel free to share a smile and say hello.
We hope to see you back again next month as we continue learning more about our hard-working Sun Country Staff!