In this edition of Staff Features, we catch up with one of our amazing Team Spirit Coaches!
Read on to gain an insider’s perspective and fascinating insight into the life of a true
Sun Country Superstar!
Name: Laura Warner
Position: Team Spirit
Tenure: 1 year
- Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?
Hawaii! I explored waterfalls, volcanoes, and gorgeous beaches. Everywhere you look is just beautiful. It’s definitely my favorite place.
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I have a black belt in Karate!
- If you could be a superhero, what would you want your superpowers to be?
I would love to have flying powers! With cheerleading, I’ve been able to “fly” high in stunts, pyramids and basket tosses.
- If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why?
I would be a dolphin. They are very social animals and they get to spend their lives in the water.
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
I have always wanted to be a teacher. I have been teaching Kindergarten for 4 years, and I love it!
- What has surprised you most about working with children?
I was surprised at how outspoken kids are. They say whatever is on their mind and it’s really funny.
- Do you have a nickname? How did it originate? When I was a kid, my sister called me Lo. Her name is Courtney, so we were “Lo and Co.” Some of my cheer teammates called me LoLo or Lo.
- What do you enjoy most as a cheerleading coach?
I love watching teammates encourage each other as they gain new skills and bond together. The Team Spirit cheerleaders celebrate individual accomplishments and work hard to improve their group skills
- What would you most like to tell yourself at age 13?
I would tell myself not to stress the little things. It all tends to work out in the end- even if it’s not exactly what you expected.
- Did anyone influence your decision to work in youth sports?
I was most influenced by the amazing coaches I had as a cheerleader in middle school, high school, and college. Their support as mentors and leaders really inspired me to want to coach and work with children.
A big thank you to Laura for taking the time to answer our questions!
If you ever happen to see her around West, feel free to share a smile and say hello.
We hope to see you back again next month as we continue learning more about our hard-working Sun Country Staff!