In this edition of Staff Features, we catch up with one of our Rainbow Gymnastics Coaches!
Read on to gain an insider’s perspective and fascinating insight into the life of a true
Sun Country Superstar!
Name: Chelsea Wagner
Department: Rainbow Gymnastics, Celebration Squad
Tenure: 1 year
1. Where is your favorite place to be?
I love to be anywhere near a beach! It is so relaxing and reminds me of fun childhood memories when I lived in a beach house and surfed a lot.
2. What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
I could not live without food, literally and figuratively. Burgers, fries, Chick-Fil-A, and nachos are some of the many things that bring me happiness.
3. What is your greatest fear?
My greatest fear is jellyfish. I was surfing one time and swallowed a piece of a dead jellyfish and I’ve been afraid ever since.
4. What might someone be surprised to know about you?
I am one of the biggest sports fanatics. An ideal day for me is sitting around all day watching football, basketball or hockey.
5. Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?
One of my favorite destinations has been to Santa Monica, California. This is because there are so many trendy places to eat, lots to do and the scenery is unreal (right between mountains and the beach!)
6. How did you first get involved with Sun Country?
I volunteered at Howl-A-Palooza in 2017 with the UF Competitive Cheerleading team. I thought Sun Country was such a cool place, so I applied to be a gymnastics coach. I have loved every second of being here!
7. What is your earliest or fondest memory at Sun Country?
One of my favorite memories was working my first Rainbow Meet. It was awesome to see all the kids who came out to show off their skills to family and friends.
8. What has surprised you most about working with children?
I was surprised at how smart children are. They pick up on things very quickly. (And they are really funny.)
9. What do you wish other people knew about gymnastics?
I wish people knew that gymnastics is not just about flipping around and being flexible. Gymnastics takes strength and determination; anyone could do it if they really try!
10. What do you enjoy most as a gymnastics coach?
I love to see kids get new skills! They always get so happy and it just brings joy to me, especially knowing that I helped them achieve their goal.
11. What do you enjoy doing when you are not working?
When I’m not working, I like to attend gator sporting events including football, basketball, gymnastics and volleyball. I also like to eat and hang out with friends.
12. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
When I was a kid, I wanted to be a professional mountain climber and trek to the top of Mount Everest. I didn’t know how much of a challenge that would be.
13. What is on your bucket list?
I want to attend the Super Bowl one day and travel as many countries as I can.
14. If you could share a meal with anyone in all of history, who would it be?
I would want to share a meal with Walt Disney because he was such an inspiration and one of the greatest entrepreneurs of all time.
15. What is the first concert you attended?
My first concert was Hannah Montana (aka Miley Cyrus) when I was in 3rd grade! I still have the t-shirt I got as a souvenir from that night.
16. If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why?
I would want to be a parrot because they’re such beautiful birds that could talk and fly! It is like they have superpowers.