Sun Country Sports Center® is seeking an experienced climber with leadership experience to manage all operations at Sun Country Rocks! Visit https://suncountrysports.com/suncountryrocks/ for more info about this exciting program, located inside Sun Country Sports Center®, a multi-sport facility near Santa Fe College and University of Florida, in the Gainesville / Tioga area.
- Position Title: Rock Wall Department Leader
- Department: Rock Wall
- Reports to: Directors of Operations
- FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The rock wall department leader oversees all operations of the rock wall department at Sun Country Sports Center®. This program includes adult recreational climbing, youth instructional classes and a competitive USA Climbing youth team. Additional responsibilities include safety training, supervision of 2-4 part-time staff, staff scheduling, special events, route-setting and facility maintenance.
Essential Job Functions
- Provides customer service to students and families, including handling customer conflict and complaints, as necessary
- Promotes Sun Country and its programs in collaboration with the marketing department
- Maintains and regularly updates the department’s social media profiles
- Provides for the safety of Sun Country students and staff
- Identifies & reports equipment & safety incidents or concerns in writing and helps resolve safety issues as quickly as possible (including administering CPR/AED or first aid as needed)
- Interviews, selects & assigns staff
- Evaluates staff regularly according to company policy
- Manages staff performance
- Creates seasonal employee schedule in collaboration with the Payroll Director
- Adjusts classes and staffing promptly as needed to maintain profitable student-teacher ratios
- Ensures staff follow payroll and scheduling policies as required
- Communicates clearly with employees via email, phone & in person
- Ensures staff maintain a clean, organized department environment
- Ensures staff receive appropriate training and resources to perform their job effectively
- Responds to and resolves issues, concerns & grievances expressed by staff
- Remains “on call” for emergencies and staff no-shows
- Ensures staff follow Incident Reporting procedures & follows up with parents within 24 hours
- Ensures staff enter attendance daily
- Maintains seasonal schedule of classes, practices and open climb slots
- Designs & updates instructional program curriculum and lesson plans
- Organizes & runs summer specialty camp(s)
- Communicates with parents regarding behavioral progress, placement and incidents involving students
- Maintains confidentiality regarding personal information about families & students
- Ensures participants do not attend classes, practices or open climb slots if they are not enrolled and paid in full
- Performs other duties as assigned by the Owners and Directors of Operation
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic management best practices
- Knowledge of basic marketing, client communication and customer service best practices
- Knowledge of basic terminology regarding the sport of rock climbing
- Knowledge of basic climbing techniques and climbing equipment
- Skill in rock climbing, belay, and lead climbing
- Skill in marketing and social media management
- Skill in operating office and technological equipment and software, including cloud-based database systems and Microsoft Office applications
- Ability to easily climb a route rated 5.7 to full ascent
- Ability to work independently toward personal and organizational goals
- Ability to follow oral and written instructions
- Ability to complete multiple tasks at once
- Ability to provide a safe, nurturing, engaging environment when working with children
Education, Experience and Certification
Required qualifications include High School Diploma, experience in the sport of rock climbing, and the Knowledge, Skills and Abilities outlined above. A Level 2 fingerprint background screening will be required within 2 weeks of hire date pursuant to Florida Statutes. Adult and Pediatric CPR, AED and First Aid certification is required within 30 days of hire date.
Preferred qualifications include Bachelor’s degree in sports management or recreation, formal management experience and formal experience working at a rock climbing gym.
- Seeing: Must be able to see well enough to read from a computer screen and written reports
- Hearing: Must be able to hear well enough to communicate with customers and employees in a loud gym environment
- Hand Function: Must be able to write, type, use technological office equipment, tie ropes and use climbing equipment per manufacturer specifications
- Stooping/Kneeling: Must be able to stoop or kneel to pick up files and access drawers near to the floor
- Standing/Walking: Must be able to stand for up to four hours at a time, move about the facility and walk at a fast pace for up to 1 minute over varying levels of gym flooring in an emergency
- Climbing: Must be able to climb to the top of the 32’ rock wall multiple times within an hour to facilitate maintenance, perform a rescue and perform equipment safety checks
- Lifting: Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds and to move large safety mats and other climbing equipment around the gym area and up the rock wall
Normal working conditions absent extreme factors. The rock wall gym is located inside our multi-sport facility, and is a fast-pace, dynamic work environment. The rock wall is open 6 days per week, excluding major holidays. This position is part-time, but a full-time schedule is possible for employees who have the flexibility to work in other departments.
Note: The statements herein are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed, but are not to be seen as a complete list of responsibilities, duties, and skills required of personnel so classified. Also, they do not establish a contract for employment and are subject to change at the discretion of the employer.
Benefits for Department Leaders
- Paid time off
- Paid holidays, jury duty, and bereavement
- Profit Sharing Bonus with participation in the Board of Advisors
- SIMPLE IRA Retirement plan with matching contributions
- Company Contribution Group Health Insurance
- Company paid Direct Primary Care membership
- Paid continuing education and certifications
Culture and Values
Sun Country Sports Center® has been a family-owned Gainesville area business for over thirty years. We are a multi-program family and youth sports center whose mission is for every person to feel better about themselves when they walk out of our doors than they do when they walk in. Our core values are safety, caring, sports and community.
Sun Country is proud to be an Equal Opportunity Employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability status, veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by law, except where physical or mental abilities are a bona fide occupational requirement, and the individual is unable to perform the essential functions of the position with reasonable accommodations.
To apply, please click the link below. Upon individual request, we will endeavor to remove any barrier to the application process to accommodate those candidates with disabilities. Candidates without computer access may apply in person at our main office, where a computer will be provided.
Compensation: $15 – $19 per hour
Remote Available: No
Job Location: 333 SW 140th TER, Jonesville, FL 32669
Click here to learn more about the Sun Country Rocks! Program