In this edition of Staff Features, we catch up with our Dance Sun Country Department Leader!
Read on to gain an insider’s perspective and fascinating insight into the life of a true
Sun Country Superstar!
Name: Judy Benton
Department: Dance Sun Country
Tenure: 12 years
- What three traits define you?
Loyal / Dedicated / Meticulous
- What is one thing you couldn’t live without?
- What is the one thing you cannot resist?
Hugging on my grandson!!
- Where is your favorite place to be?
- Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why?
NYC – just love the city!!
- What might someone be surprised to know about you?
In 9th grade – I was the Buchholz High School Bobcat mascot…
- How did you first get involved with Sun Country?
Almost 13 years ago – Coach Candi (yes – cheer coach Candi) – recommended me to Linda Bennett – who then asked me to come out to Sun Country to grow and expand the dance program. It’s been the greatest and most rewarding experience ever!!
- What has surprised you most about working with children?
After teaching dance for over 40 years – I’m not as surprised as much as I am constantly amused at all the amazing things children will say.
- What would you tell someone who is considering joining/working in youth ARTS?
Passing down and sharing this amazing art form of dance with our children is the most rewarding experience. Seeing their confidence build and their excitement when they accomplish something new is such a fulfilling and worthwhile experience.
- What do you wish other people knew about DANCE?
Training is a life-long process – you are always learning and improving.
- What do you enjoy most as a DANCE INSTRUCTOR?
That I get to share my passion – DANCE – everyday with the next generation of dancers!
- How might someone describe you?
Perhaps intense – but definitely passionate – with a little bit of crazy thrown in….
- As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up?
Always wanted to be a dance teacher
- What is on your bucket list?
Visit old castles in Scotland
- If you were a type of food, what type of food would you be?
Well my favorite flavors are coconut and pistachio.
- What is the first concert you attended?
Elton John – 1974 – old Florida Gym!
- If Hollywood made a movie about your life, who would you like to see cast as you?