Let’s catch up with the Owner of SwimAmerica of Gainesville at Sun Country!
Read on to gain an insider’s perspective and fascinating insight into the life of a true
Sun Country Superstar!
Name: Jill Wilby
Department: Owner of SwimAmerica of Gainesville at Sun Country
1. What three traits define you? – Encouraging, dependable, conscientious
2. What is the one thing you cannot resist? – Rold Gold Honey Wheat Braided Pretzels
3. What is your favorite thing to do? – Water ski
4. Where is the best place you’ve traveled to and why? – Belize It was just a beautiful place and a wonderful vacation with my husband
5. What does true leadership mean to you? – Taking initiative and having confidence in what you do
6. What might someone be surprised to know about you? – I’ve completed 11 marathons
7. How did you first get involved with Sun Country? – I knew I would have more time with both children off to college and my husband traveling with his job so I emailed Jodi about bringing SwimAmerica of Gainesville to Sun Country. A few meetings later and it happened last October!
8. What is your earliest or fondest memory at Sun Country? – My daughter, Kendal, took gymnastics with Ms Debe. Kendal is now 21 years old.
9. What has surprised you most about working with children? – They will do anything for a butter cookie!
10. Did anyone influence your decision to work in youth sports? – My dad He coached little league basketball and football
11. What would you tell someone who is considering joining/working in youth sports? – You must have patience and love for children. You can learn the skills to teach a sport
12. What do you wish other people knew about swimming? – I want parents to understand that learning to swim is a process that takes time.
13. What do you enjoy most as a swimming coach? – I know I am saving lives every day.
14. What do you find most challenging about your work? –
Getting these messages across to parents:
*Swimming lessons are year round!
*Don’t compare your child to others. Each child learns at a different pace.
*Even if your child has had swim lessons, NEVER take your eyes off of him/her around water!
15. What do you enjoy doing when you are not working? – Orangetheory Fitness
16. Do you have a nickname? Jill-Will
How did it originate? My high school swimming friends came up with it (funny that I married a man with the last name of Wilby).
17. As a kid, what did you want to be when you grew up? – A teacher
18. What is on your bucket list? – Run 1 more marathon
19. What is the first concert you attended? – Pat Benatar
20. What is your guilty pleasure book, movie or TV show? – Say Yes to the Dress
21. If you could be any animal in the world, what animal would you be and why? – Dolphin because I love watching them swim