Sun Country Splash!
Sun Country Splash offers swim classes for children ages 6 months all the way to adults. Kids can gain a love of the water early with our Guppies classes and then advance through our Rainbow classes as they progress through their swimming skills. For adults, we offer several swim options for swimmers of all levels – whether you’re looking to improve your triathlon time or just want to improve your swimming skills for personal benefit.
Our 25 yard pool is saline, heated and covered to provide optimum swimming conditions year-round. NO RED EYES, NO IRRITATED SKIN, NO DAMAGED HAIR AND NO DAMAGED BATHING SUITS.
While at Sun Country Sports visit our ‘Dive In’ shop where you can find all of your swimming needs including goggles, water fins, water toys, baby swim diapers, underwater cameras and more.
CHILDREN AND TODDLER CLASSES
At Sun Country Splash we do not “just give swim lessons”. While teaching children to swim is one of our goals, we are steadfast in our commitment to the physical, emotional and psychological enhancement of children. In addition, we believe that a child’s swim lesson or water orientation requires the involvement and education of the parent or responsible adult who is accompanying the child. We will communicate with parents the goals, techniques, expectations and risks of the instruction. Behind every safe child is a vigilant parent!
We offer a positive, happy and secure environment which provides for children’s social, intellectual, physical, and emotional growth. Learning is individualized based on each child’s capabilities. Here, aquatic safety and aquatic enjoyment can, eventually, become second nature. Our instructors are caring and loving teachers with training and experience in swimming instruction.
We firmly believe that the consistent reinforcement of our year-round, one-day a week lessons builds success, confidence and smiles. And yes, we do believe that children as young as six months can have a positive introduction to an aquatic environment. Our beliefs are founded in our program’s simple steps and firm building blocks which are keys to creating comfortable swimmers. All of our swim classes have a low student to teacher ratio for maximum attention.
Available for: Ages 20 months – 5 years
Class Length: One-on-one 15 minutes mini-lessons
If your child could benefit from individual attention in the pool, our Bubbles program is perfect for them! Geared towards children ages 20 months to 5 years old, our Bubbles program offers 1-on-1 mini lessons for kids who want a little extra instructional time or those who perform better in an individualized setting. During these lessons, kids will have a chance to work with their swim instructor on the specific skills they need to master to become a better swimmer.
Available for: Ages 6 months – 3 years
Class Length: 30 minutes
Children and parents participate together in our Guppies classes. With an appropriate balance between fun and structure, parents will be taught how to guide their tots swimming development. Expectations grow as babies develop into toddlers while reinforcing the basics.
- Familiarity with and overcoming fear of water
- Beginning breath control
- Back floating
- Exiting the pool
- Simple propulsions through the water
- Relaxed gliding
Available for: Ages 3 years and up
Class Length: 30 minutes
Levels: Red, Orange, Yellow, Green, Blue
Rainbow Fish classes are tailored to offer young swimmers the opportunity to learn the basic fundamentals of swimming. The low student teacher ratios in these classes allow the individual swimmer to progress at his or her own pace and developmental level.
- Rolling over
- Entry techniques
- Destination swimming (swimming until reaching a safe destination)
- Breathing and breath control
- Elementary strokes
More advanced Rainbow Fish levels will be introduced to the basics of competitive strokes.
ADULT CLASSES AND LESSONS
Sun Country Sports offers the best Adult Classes and swim programs in Gainesville.
Lap Swim is available for anyone ages 18 and older. Pull buoy and kickboards are available for use during this time.
LAP SWIM SCHEDULE:
9:00am – 2:45pm
9:00am – 10:30am
11:30am – 3:00pm
9:00am – 2:00pm
9:00am – 3:00pm
9:00am – 2:00pm
* Please Note: Pool may be closed due to low water temperature, or pool construction. Please call ahead to confirm pool is open. Please call ahead on the weekends prior to coming to make sure that we don’t have any special events at the pool and that lap swim is available.
Lap Swim Requirements:
- No life guard on duty during Regular Lap swim
- Lap Swim hours may be extended as local weather gets warmer
- All swimmers must check in and out at the main Sun Country Sports Desk prior to swimming
- All fees and associated paperwork must be filled out prior to beginning your swim
DRILLS AND SKILLS
This is a class for the fitness swimmer who would like to improve their freestyle form and efficiency. We will also spend a smaller amount of time learning the basics of the other 3 competitive strokes (fly, back and breast). This is a great class if you are trying to work up to swimming with Masters OR trying to improve your ability to confidently complete a triathlon swim. If you can swim the basics of freestyle stroke with some proficiency with side air breathing, you are qualified to take this class! We will be working on building your endurance with solid form through drills and technique practice.
10:30am – 11:30am
6:00pm – 7:00pm
Masters Swim is a one-hour coached swim workout for adults who are interested in increasing their swim technique and endurance/speed for triathlon or fitness swimming. Each workout will have a specific purpose and include individual feedback for all swimmers from an on-deck coach.
11:30am – 12:30pm
6:00pm – 7:00pm
Sun Country Splash! Rules and Guidelines:
- Appropriate swim attire is required.
- Children who are not potty trained must “double diaper” with a disposable diaper and a Sun Country Splash diaper cover. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Flotation devices are not permitted.
- Hair past the shoulders needs to be pulled back or placed under a bathing cap.
- Changing of swim wear/clothing is not permitted on deck.
- Jewelry is not permitted.
- Swim shoes may not be worn during lessons.
- No gum, food, or drink in the pool.
- Parents are asked to follow the direction of the instructor. Parental coaching from the deck is not permitted.
- All students are expected to conduct themselves in a courteous, respectful, safe and responsible manner.