Sun Country Splash!
Sun Country Splash we offer children’s Swim Lessons through Swim America of Gainesville at Sun Country, adult master’s classes through Karyn Austin Coaching as well as open lap swim, special groups and birthday parties.
Kids can gain a love of the water early as they progress through their swimming skills. For adults, we offer several swim options for swimmers of all level – whether you’re looking to improve your triathlon time or just want to improve your swimming skills for personal benefit.
Our 25 yard pool is saline, heated and covered to provide optimum swimming conditions year-round. NO RED EYES, NO IRRITATED SKIN, NO DAMAGED HAIR AND NO DAMAGED BATHING SUITS.
While at Sun Country Sports visit our ‘Dive In’ shop where you can find all of your swimming needs including goggles, water fins, water toys, baby swim diapers, underwater cameras and more.
Youth Swim Lessons through Swim America of Gainesville at Sun Country.
About Swim America of Gainesville at Sun Country
Swim America of Gainesville at Sun Country is a learn to swim program for all levels. Our philosophy is to promote awareness and water safety by giving each swimmer a foundation of skills that will foster a lifelong love of the water.
We individualize each lesson so that each swimmer progresses at their own level of readiness. By offering each child the opportunity to master both development and safety skills, we install confidence and enthusiasm in the water. We firmly believe that the consistent reinforcement of our year-round, one or two day a week lessons builds success, confidence and smiles.
Swim America of Gainesville began in 1998 and is run by Jill Wilby. Jill was a competitive swimmer from age 8-22 years. She swam at The Bolles School in Jacksonville, Florida and went on to the University of Kentucky where she received her degree in Child Development and Elementary Education as well as competed on the UK swim team all 4 years. While in high school at Bolles, she began teaching both private and group swimming lessons and hasn’t stopped for 35 years. She has also taught Pre-School and first grade.
Jill’s husband, Martyn, is the National Team Coach for Canadian Swimming. She has 2 children. A daughter, Kendal, a junior on the tennis team at Butler University and a son, Mason, a freshman on the swim team at The University of Kentucky.
ADULT CLASSES AND LESSONS
Sun Country Sports offers the best Adult Classes and swim programs in Gainesville.
About Karyn Austin:
Karyn Austin is a USA Triathlon Level 2 certified coach. She has been coaching triathletes for 10 years and coaching swimming (team and private) for over 20 years. Karyn has been a 2 time member of Team USA for Olympic Distance Triathlon, All American ranked triathlete, and has also competed at the Ironman distance. Karyn has coached all levels of athletes from true beginners to athletes competing at the National and World level (including Kona). Her passion is to take people who struggle and dread the swim to learn to LOVE the water!
Lap Swim is available for anyone ages 18 and older. Pull buoy and kickboards are available for use during this time.
LAP SWIM SCHEDULE:
9:00am – 2:45pm
9:00am – 10:30am
11:30am – 2:45pm
9:00am – 2:45pm
9:00am – 2:45pm
9:00am – 2:45pm
* Please Note: Pool may be closed due to low water temperature, or pool construction. Please call ahead to confirm pool is open. Please call ahead on the weekends prior to coming to make sure that we don’t have any special events at the pool and that lap swim is available.
Lap Swim Requirements:
- No life guard on duty during Regular Lap swim
- Lap Swim hours may change per season
- All swimmers must check in and out at the main Sun Country Sports Desk prior to swimming
- All fees and associated paperwork must be filled out prior to beginning your swim
DRILLS AND SKILLS BY KARYN AUSTIN COACHING
This is a class for the fitness swimmer who would like to improve their freestyle form and efficiency. We will also spend a smaller amount of time learning the basics of the other 3 competitive strokes (fly, back and breast). This is a great class if you are trying to work up to swimming with Masters OR trying to improve your ability to confidently complete a triathlon swim. If you can swim the basics of freestyle stroke with some proficiency with side air breathing, you are qualified to take this class! We will be working on building your endurance with solid form through drills and technique practice.
10:30am – 11:30am
MASTERS SWIM BY KARYN AUSTIN COACHING
Masters Swim is a one-hour coached swim workout for adults who are interested in increasing their swim technique and endurance/speed for triathlon or fitness swimming. Each workout will have a specific purpose and include individual feedback for all swimmers from an on-deck coach.
10:30am – 11:30pm
Sun Country Splash! Rules and Guidelines:
- Lifeguard may not be on duty
- Appropriate swim attire is required.
- Children who are not potty trained must “double diaper” with a disposable diaper and a Sun Country Splash diaper cover. NO EXCEPTIONS!
- Flotation devices are not permitted.
- Hair past the shoulders needs to be pulled back or placed under a bathing cap.
- Changing of swim wear/clothing is not permitted on deck.
- Jewelry is not permitted.
- Swim shoes may not be worn during lessons.
- No gum, food, or drink in the pool.
- Parents are asked to follow the direction of the instructor. Parental coaching from the deck is not permitted.